
Hammer-wielding thug jailed for brutal attack in Hetton-le-Hole home
A violent offender who launched a terrifying hammer attack inside a Hetton-le-Hole home has been jailed for more than 14 years.
Terry Dixon, 48, left his victim with multiple skull fractures after what a court heard was a sustained and unprovoked assault at an address on Station Road on May 17 last year.
Shortly after 10pm, Northumbria Police received a report of an ongoing disturbance at the property. When officers arrived, they were met with a harrowing scene—Dixon’s victim, a man in his 40s, was found with serious head injuries and covered in blood.
Paramedics were called and the man was rushed to hospital, where scans revealed several fractures to his skull and other head injuries consistent with repeated blows from a heavy weapon. He underwent emergency treatment and remained in hospital while specialists assessed the full extent of the damage.
Detectives later confirmed that the injuries could easily have proved fatal. Remarkably, the victim has since made a full physical recovery, though the court heard he continues to live with the psychological impact of the attack.
By the time officers reached the address, Dixon had already fled the scene. A search of the surrounding area was launched and, within a short time, he was located by officers nearby.
When he was detained, Dixon was still in possession of the hammer used in the assault. On arrest, he admitted carrying out the attack and was initially held on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm (GBH).
Following further enquiries and a review of the medical evidence, the case was upgraded and Dixon was charged with attempted murder, reflecting the severity of the violence and the life-threatening nature of the victim’s injuries.
He appeared at Newcastle Crown Court in March, where a jury acquitted him of attempted murder. However, Dixon pleaded guilty to an alternative charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent—one of the most serious non-fatal offences on the statute book.
Returning to the same court for sentence, Dixon listened from the dock as the judge outlined the gravity of his actions, describing the attack as a “brutal and sustained assault with a weapon” carried out in a domestic setting where the victim should have felt safe.
The court heard how the victim had been subjected to a sudden and ferocious onslaught, with no opportunity to defend himself. The judge said it was only down to “good fortune and swift medical intervention” that the man had survived.
Dixon was jailed for 14-and-a-half years for GBH with intent, reflecting both the seriousness of the offence and the risk he poses to the public. He will also be subject to an extended period on licence upon his release, meaning he can be recalled to prison if he breaches strict conditions.
Speaking after the sentencing, investigating officers welcomed the outcome and praised the courage of the victim in supporting the prosecution.
They said the case underlined the force’s determination to pursue violent offenders and bring them before the courts, particularly where weapons are used and lives are put at risk.
The victim, who has asked not to be named, told the court in a statement that he feared he was going to die during the attack and continues to struggle with flashbacks and anxiety.
He said the incident had “turned his life upside down” and that, although his physical injuries have healed, the emotional scars remain.
Dixon will now spend the foreseeable future behind bars, while his victim continues the long process of rebuilding his life after the ordeal.